Monday, April 4, 2011

Rydia's Sleeves

I have a huge stack of fabric from which to draw from for Rydia. I have collected since last fall for this costume and I've amassed quite a collection. But the fabric for these sleeves came to me while sitting in my closet.

Yes. While sitting in my closet.

I got terrible nostalgic one day and allowed myself to be floored by a green kimono in my costume collection. I made this kimono my senior year of high school. I hadn't worn it often and it wasn't very special to me. While I may say I did do a tremendous job on the stitching of the garment. The last time I wore this kimono however was the last time I spent with a good friend of mine, one of my first friends I made while attending college at Lees-McRae. Last summer she passed away.

I don't think I ever got the chance to fully mourn her. I did so in that closet last week.

While touching the fabric I was flooded with memories of her, of our time together, of her amazing strength. She was one of the few people I could always count on, and truthfully I think I took her for granted half the time.

So I took the kimono down and I cut the sleeves off. I figure if I am to put so much time, energy, and love into this costume it should hold just as many memories.

So Kasey... this is for you.

I began by cutting off the bottom edge of the sleeve. I then took spray fabric paint to the first sleeve. It literally just painted one sleeve. Don't waste your money on spray fabric paint, it's great but there isn't enough in the bottle to make it worth it. Instead I moved to using watered down acrylic paint.

I painted it nearly perfectly, I let it dry overnight. The next day I decided it was way too stiff and to my absolute stupidity I stuck it in the washer.

Needless to say, it washed completely out.

So the next day again with a blank slate I set to paint the sleeves again. This time I set the paint with heat and it wasn't nearly as stiff this time around.

I then attacked the sleeves with great vigor using a hot glue gun (out of laziness) and spray painted plastic beads. I created pretty swirly patterns to mimic the stars on Rydia's sleeves, but to put my own spin on the look. I then finished the sleeve bottom with trim.

I attached crystal like gems to each side of the sleeve and hanging stars onto the trim.

I am thrilled with the result! Here are some teasers. I also think Kasey would approve and yet think I'm completely nuts as she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment