Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can I Get a "HELL YEAH?!"

So I finally got off my beautiful ass and made the central piece to the entire Rydia costume.

I used a Green Pepper pattern for figure skating costumes. The leotard pattern was in two pieces but I elected not to do that and butchered the pattern to my own desires. I used olive green jersey knit which is soft and glorious!

It turned out to be alot simpler than I had in my head. Thank goodness. That is one more costume mountain made into a molehill. It fits perfectly with no adjustments. I elected not to finish the edges because the fabric won't unravel and I feel like it would look clunky with finished edges.

The straps are brought together with a gold metal wire star with jewels on either sides. The capes are also attached at the shoulder.

The gold sash was a cop out. I was going to use the same fabric I used for Lenna's sash and then realized I can't two costumes at the same time, and Katherine won't be wearing Lenna at AZ after all so I borrowed it from Lenna.


As for the capes... they're probably my favorite aspect of the costume. I used 30 yards of wired Christmas ribbon I got on sale after New Years. The base fabric is a light green crinkle fabric that is light weight and sheer. It's close to the white most people elect to use while doing this costume but without the harsh contrast. The ribbon is patterned and frankly it's pretty amazing in person.

Now left on the Rydia TO DO list:
  • Arm bands for under sleeves.
  • Thigh highs, this will require a friend to draw/paint on them while I wear them.
  • Hair beads.
  • Earrings.
And that ladies and gents will conclude Rydia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment